Nothing better than a traditional homemade mulled wine on cozy winter nights.
The answer Mulled Wine!
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 2hrs 15 minutes
SERVINGS: 36 truffles
- 2 bottles Red Wine
- ½ cup Orange based liqueur
- 2 nos Orange(sweet)
- 1 medium Lemon
- ½ tsp Grated Ginger
- 1-2 nos Star Anise
- 1 whole Cinnamon Stick
- 1 pod Vanilla
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp Caster Sugar
- ½ tsp Nutmeg Powder
- In a large saucepan, add cinnamon stick, grated ginger, caster sugar and nutmeg powder.
- Peel large sections of the lemon and the orange rind and add the rinds to the saucepan.
- Add the juice of one whole orange.
- Pour the orange liqueur and about a half a cup of red wine. There should be enough liquid to cover all the ingredients. If required, add more orange juice from the second orange.
- Split the vanilla pod lengthwise and scrape out the vanilla extract (paste) and add to the saucepan. Also just drop the vanilla pod.
- Turn on the heat and simmer all the ingredients for about 10 minutes while stirring from time to time. You need to keep a watch over this, even though it is slow cooking. This is the base of the mulled wine. It needs to be dark and syrupy.
- When the syrup is ready, lower the heat and add the rest of the bottles of wine.
- Add the star anise at this point.
- Gently simmer for 5 minutes and your mulled wine is ready.
- Serve it warm in sturdy glasses, preferably with handles and garnish with orange wedges.